Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Portrait Sketch of Giuseppe


Giuseppe modelled for me for this portrait sketch. It took about two hours.
Notice how engaging the direct look from the subject is.
That look is something that is almost impossible to get in a life room situation, and it can be quite unnerving to paint it in a one to one sitting, but I think a portrait is generally the better for it.
We were both fairly pleased with the finished painting, but Guiseppe is a sensitive and gentle person, and I think he looks a bit hard in this one.
I will be doing a series of portrait sketches like this for practice over the coming weeks.
I have a number of sitters lined up, but if you are in the Dublin area and are interested in posing for me, drop me a line at info@pjlynchgallery.com

3 comments:

Esther Morales said...

Amazing work!!

PJ Lynch said...

Many thanks Esther.
You have a great blog......lovely sketches.
All the best
PJ

Amal said...

Stunning! There's a freshness and crispness to this (maybe the darker darks are contributing), but G's gentleness comes through in the tilt of his head and slope of the shoulder. Impressive work for only 2 hrs!