Friday, November 11, 2011

A Fleeting Light Effect


When I was working on this study of Niamh, a stray shaft of light found its way into the life room and irritatingly moved right onto the model's middle.
I was inclined to ignore it and concentrate on another area of the figure whilst waiting for the sun to go behind the clouds again, but then I thought I'd take up the challenge and try to paint it in.
It was a difficult effect to catch as the light was moving so fast, (it only lingered on Niamh's middle for about fifteen minutes as I remember) but in the end I think it made for a much more interesting painting.
It got me thinking of the problems that al fresco landscape painters must often come across. Maybe I'll give that a go next spring.

2 comments:

Amal said...

i'm relaly enjoying your use of a limited palette, P.J. And that bit of light is wonderful focus that sends the eye to the resting fellow's head. A nice sense of repose--then the light breaks through...

PJ Lynch said...

Many thanks Amal, delighted that you like it.
PJ