Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Two Self-Portraits


Here's is an interesting comparison of two of my self-portraits.
The first was done when I was twenty and the second twenty seven years later. Boy that makes me feel old!
I obviously spent a lot more time on the first one, and I do think it's a pretty good drawing, but although various parts are well observed, I don't think the face quite fits in the head properly. The second is a twenty minute sketch, and I think I prefer that looseness and immediacy.
Away from the technical side, it is with very mixed feelings that I look back on young PJ starting out on his artistic career, so full of potential, and enthusiasm. And to compare him with the older man who has experienced all those years between the two of them.

5 comments:

Alex said...

If you could tell your younger self something, knowing what you know now, what do you think it might be?

PJ Lynch said...

Great question Alex,
I think I'd tell him to work harder, and more fearlessly. To pursue his own projects. To paint and draw even more from life.
I'd advise him to live for three months each in Italy and New York.
To buy Baltimore Technologies shares, but to sell in 1999.
And lastly don't go to Aidan's party in Pembroke Road in April '94.
Wouldn't it be great to meet your younger self?
All the best
PJ

Mother (Re)produces. said...

Are you sure? Maybe you learned something you needed to know at Aidan's party.

Or maybe I've no clue ;)

Beautiful work, as always.

elise said...

Wonderful self portraits - I'm trying to guess what the next installment would look like (after a suitable amount of time)... perhaps cubist minimallist? Funny how there's all that learning and then all that learning to let go.

Anonymous said...

you are so gifted there is some sort of careful patience and emotion in your work that reminds me of really old paintings and which I have'nt seen in any current artists.